Friday, April 20, 2007

sorrow in virginia

I wanted to post this bit that Brandon wrote to me the other morning via email. It really got me thinking about the impact that this tragedy had and will continue to have on our nation and world. Let me know what you are thinking and feeling in this time...

" ...I was driving to work this morning and felt an overwhelming sense of anger toward the Virginia tech. shooter...so much so that it made a deep impact on me...I cannot remember a time in my life where I have felt something so visceral and had such full and complete disdain towards another person. I felt so intensely the need to vent my aggression, to rip the steering wheel clean off in my hands would have been a start, to scream from the depths of my gut would have been healing to a degree, to bloody my hands on that boys face would have been a small shred of justice for my own anger and hurt. And look at me, how connected am I to what happened? I am a person, on the other side of the united states, connected to those who perished by the common thread of sheer humanity. I want to identify with the victims, not as students, not as US citizens, but on an honest level...on a human level, on a level that acknowledges the eternity of the soul; and believe me, that is the only comfort in this whole thing at this point...vengeance is in the hands of the Lord, and the fact that that boys soul will spend an eternity in hell, and that his suffering will be unsearchable in its extremity and eternity is so strangely comforting to me."

5 comments:

Jenny Schlenker said...

Holls- I agree with what B wrote. It sent chills up my spine. The sickness and injustice of sick act has many stirred. You wonder, was is a statistic you are after? Something like that happening at V Tech is about as close to something like that happening at Cal Poly. There are purges of anger that I feel to, I don't understand, but we do know that we love and walk with a God who is a God of Justice and we all will stand before a Holy God. We are not gaurenteed tomorrow........ Jesus give us hearts of endurance to love the people in the world who do things like this.....

Jenn said...

I feel Brandon's anger and confusion. How can this happen? What is going through the mind of someone like that? Looking into his eyes in those pictures, I swear I see the Devil. The only thing that gets me through is knowing that someday, one glorious day, those same eyes of the enemy will be full of terror as he is thrown into the eternal flame. Until then, all I can do is cry, rage, and shake my head. Not the world I was hoping to bring my son into....I am sure God was thinking the same thing.

Anonymous said...

I just now read this (May 3rd) but still have seething bouts of anger stir up when I dwell on the incident...but on that note I was reading in Matthew a few days ago about God holding us accountable for every unkind word that we speak...yikes. God's justice is perfect. Our society has gotten so narcisistic (did I spell that right?)...the whole "it's all about me" philosophy is having such damaging effects on today's youth. I pray for parenting skills that teach the opposite.

Anonymous said...

"wife, it's time to call out holly on her lack of blogging."

i know, it's rude to do this considering i haven't commented here, but i did make a long comment once and when i clicked publish, it disapeared. i couldn't be bothered to type it again. we just miss your writing and want to see pics of the kids. come on holls.

Jenny Schlenker said...

Hey I am back, I will give you a call today. Miss you and love you!!! Get this deal updated with some pics from your trip and Lily's B Day- P.S. Did her gift arrive on time?? & I loved the litle raspy nuggets voice- keep leaving those voicemails, I love her voice and it makes me feel loved. Loves- J